Showing posts from May, 2014

Cactus Seeds from Mallorca

I was in Mallorca for a week earlier this month and since I've been getting interested in growing plants again, I wanted to buy some seeds from the trip. A lot of the gardens in Alcudia had cactuses in them and I figured that's the easiest thing for me to try, they're not likely to die even if I forget to water them at times. And they should work fine as houseplants. The two photos above are from some wasteland, not anyone's garden.

I got packs of 10 cactus seeds and 5 aloe vera seeds, 2.50 euros each. When I got home, I soaked the seeds in water for 24 hours before sowing. Then I sowed them in pots in a soil/sand mix about 0.5 cm deep, watered and added plastic covers with holes to keep them damp and warm during germination.

I also sowed some orange seeds and an apricot seed at the same time. I had soaked those seeds before sowing, too. For the orange seeds I was going to use all clay pots but I only found one so the rest of them are plastic. In the bottom of the pots…

Rainy Day in the Garden

There was a big change in the weather between this week and last week. Sunshine turned to rain and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees. Blog post about seeds I bought from my Mallorca trip coming tomorrow. 

Kuvia sateisesta puutarhasta.

May Garden

Puutarha kukkii. 

The garden is blossoming right now. 

Rhubarb Leaf and Other Watercolors

Rhubarb Leaf. Watercolor on watercolor paper. 300 gsm. Size A3. Time 30 min. August 2010. 
I posted two charcoal drawings I made on a plant painting/drawing course earlier. I also made watercolor works during that course. The first one, a rhubarb leaf, was a quick painting. The assignment was to make the sketch with a brush instead of a pencil. I usually sketch all my paintings in pencil first so that was new for me. I've gathered all art supplies and other tools I use to make my watercolor paintings in a 3-page guide you can download for free

Flower Close-Up. Watercolor on watercolor paper. 250 gsm. Size A4. August 2010.
The other paintings are close-ups of leaves and a flower. The assignment was to go very near the subject and magnify it and pay attention to colors, shapes and patterns. I had applied a blue wash on the paper before painting the dried lupine leaves and that turned out to be a bit tricky but it did set a different mood for the painting. 

Curled Up Leaf. Wa…